Sunday, October 10, 2010

En La Jungla

For the first time since I have been here, I felt the pain of being homesick.  It is not severe and I expect that it will end soon with a goodnight´s rest and a warm Taricaya meal.  Just know that if you miss me, I´m missing you, too! 

Anyways, enough of that talk:)  I had the cool experience of feeding our jaguar.  I was amazed at all the precautions we had to take to feed the powerful (but still cute) animal.  First, you have to slide this metal door down so she can´t attack you.... always a happy thought haha.  Then you have to slide 4 metal bars out of the door to get in and set the pile of raw meat covered with unwanted wasps in the cage.  Quite the experience!

I also was able to do turtle census.  We ride on a boat for 2 hours looking for turtles on logs.  We only saw three but it was delightful.  I stuck my ipod in my ears and admired the amazon around me while searching hard for ¨Charlies¨... what I was calling the turtles thanks to Forest Gump hahaha  

Some of the cutest animals we have here are the most vicious in my opinion.  We have a margay which looks like a small jaguar house cat with huge eyes and we have 3 jaguarandi.  They look so fluffy (so fluffy I could die!!!) and cuddly, but as soon as you get close they glare at you and hiss.  I stuck my face next to the enclosure the jaguarandi were in in their cage and they lunged at me and hissed something fierce! Luckily, I was on the outside of their cage, but that didn´t keep be from yelping and jerking back haha.

Sadly I must cut this entry short because the boat leaves in 30 minutes.  I love and miss everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment